Thursday 3 May 2012

Review: Graceling by Kristin Cashore


(image from goodreads)

I always find that it is the books I love most that I struggle to write reviews for. Perhaps in some way I feel that the author did such a good job with words that any attempt by me would be 
significantly below par.

Graceling is definitely one of my favourite books. Reading it again in anticipation of the 3rd book in the series (Bitterblue), I find that my feelings during the second read are unchanged from that of the first. I am still thoroughly enthralled by Kristin Cashore's description of the locations in the book, and am full of admiration for one of the most kick-ass heroines in YA lit. Unlike a lot of books which seem to harp on a pretty young thing who is trying to discover herself, in Graceling, we are faced by a young woman, Katsa, who having grown up with a talent she somewhat despises, is trying desperately to put it to good use and maintain a sense of self while distancing herself from those who would 
use her talents for untoward means. 

The author should also be commended for creating several strong supporting characters in Po, Raffin and Bitterblue, all of whom have the difficult task of aiding our heroine 
on her quest towards self-discovery.

I may have only just finished the book, but honestly, I can't wait to go on this journey with Katsa once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment